[ltp] Slackware on T42?

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:34:53 -0500

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 13:42 -0600, Josh Battles wrote:
> I'm doing it now via Samba and I use ReiserFS on my linux server.  What would
> the advantages (if any) be to using the ext3 filesystem?  Is it faster?

Well, I'm not an expert at all on ReiserFS...but...
ReiserFS came out before ext3 was available, and at the time was the
first journalled FS for Linux.  However, now that ext3 is available,
both FSs offer similar levels of reliability.
Reiser is supposedly much more efficient if you have large numbers of
very small files (if you're running an IMAP or USENET server, for
example).  It combines small files and stores them in the same block,
rather than storing files only in multiples of one block.  So, if your
block size is 4K on ext3 if you have four 1K files, it uses 16K on the
disk, but on Reiser it uses only 4K...at least in theory, I've never
used Reiser.
Since I don't store lots of small files, and since I was already on ext2
(and you can't convert between ext and Reiser), I went with ext3.  If
you're already on Reiser, I'd stay there.

Any experts on Reiser out there care to comment?