[ltp] madwifi on Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8

Meike Reichle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:54:10 +0100

Hi all,

I finally got around to trying to set up my new wireless card.
What I did so far:

I plugged the card in and lspci -v gave me this

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
Subsystem: Atheros Communications, Inc. DWL-G650B2 Wireless CardBus Adapter
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
Memory at 14400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]

So I went on to install the madwifi driver using the .debs from this
site http://www.marlow.dk/site.php/tech/madwifi. Therefore I did an
apt-get install madwifi-source madwifi-tools, went to /usr/src, unpacked
the madwifi.tar.gz, went into my kernel source directory and entered
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-madwifi" --added-modules
madwifi modules_image

However: When running this I got the error
dh_testdir
make[1]: dh_testdir: command not found
make[1]: *** [config-stamp] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/modules/madwifi'
Module /usr/src/modules/madwifi failed.

I then downloaded the sources (apt-get source madwifi) and tried a
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage that resulted in another error:
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>> 4.0.0) sysutils
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.

I am fairly new to Debian and this is the first wireless card I install,
so I am slightly at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated!

Greetings,
Meike