[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:27:46 -0700

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:00:03 -0600 (CST), Josh Battles
<josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> What is LVM?

>From the LVM HOWTO:

"Logical volume management provides a higher-level view of the disk
storage on a computer system than the traditional view of disks and
partitions. This gives the system administrator much more flexibility
in allocating storage to applications and users."

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

(above quote from chapter two)

> very stable and reliable.  Can the list offer up suggestions between debian
> and/or gentoo?  I've got a 4mb line to my house so bandwidth isn't really an
> issue.

Personally I like Debian over Gentoo.  I used Debian for two years on
a mail/web server for personal use and while not a user friendly
distribution by any means (no happy gui installer like SuSE and Red
Hat, for example), I found it far easier to set up than Gentoo.

The so called "performance gains" from compiling every single package
on a system aren't worth the time it takes to actually download and
compile all that source code in the first place, in my opinion.  As
stated before, I don't have time to dork around with a distribution to
"make" things work either.  Give me wonderful bloated GUI tools and
ease of use.  I spend 8-10 hours a day at a commandline managing my
servers at work.  I don't have that much time to spend at home - I did
that when I was in college messing around with Linux.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!