[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:35:02 -0700

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:42:44 -0600 (CST), Josh Battles
<josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
> I'm doing it now via Samba and I use ReiserFS on my linux server.  What would
> the advantages (if any) be to using the ext3 filesystem?  Is it faster?

In my research, ReiserFS has outperformed ext3.  Being able to
configure Samba for you home use, I'm sure you can google up some
information comparing the two filesystems.

A big part of ReiserFS vs ext3 is related to the kernel support in the
distribution you're using.  Somewhat unfortunately, I manage Linux
servers in a corporate environment comprised mainly of Red Hat
Enterprise 2.1 and 3.0 systems.  ReiserFS is not a "supported by Red
Hat" option on RHEL 3.0, and is a fairly old version on RHEL 2.1.  The
performance gains may not be as noticable and indeed we use ext3 for
almost all production systems.  One customer runs a mail server that
sends out over a million emails via qmail each month - they use
ReiserFS for the mail spool.  Performance gains were HUGE when they
switched to Reiser - ext3 completely choked and brought the system
crashing down under the load.

Your mileage may vary depending on your application and usage
patterns. I prefer ReiserFS and will use it when I have a choice.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!