[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:41:46 -0700

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:53:33 -0600, Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I tried Reiser for a while and eventually had data loss on more
> than one occasion, and on more than one machine (era was about a year
> and a half ago or so).  Among other things (if I recall correctly) it
> didn't handle hard crashes well, and its recovery tool didn't appear
> to be very mature, at least not as compared to e2fsck.  As a result, I
> switched to ext3, and have had no further FS-related problems.

What distribution was that on?  Which version of ReiserFS, and the
tools?  The ext3 is obviously more mature, since it is ext2 with
journaling - and considering ext2 has been around as long as I can
remember, that's quite awhile.

We've had hard drive crashes on ext3 filesystems, but not enough
customers run ReiserFS to make any comparison on reliability.  So far
we haven't had any filesystem disasters out of about 160 production
systems, either ext3 or ReiserFS based.  I would suspect that the
versions of ReiserFS and your distribution might have something to do
with your issues.  I haven't heard about any problems related to
ReiserFS in my research in the last few months, however.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!