[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Bob Alexander linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:30:31 +0100

Eben King wrote:
  > Semi-WAG: "Logical Volume Management", a system where you can add (and
> subtract?) chunks of discontiguous disk space without repartitioning.

Yes, Eben I have just shrunk my oversized /var to 1.5GB. Very simple.

unmount /var
e2fsck -f /var
resize2fs /dev/vg1/lvvar 1500M
lvreduce /dev/vg1/lvvar -L1500M
mount /var

Smooth as silk !

On another track. There was an interesting article about one year ago in
which someone tested Gentoo "optimized" kernels against "stock" kernels
from Mandrake and others and surprisingly the Gentoo user tweked kernels
where underperforming.

A last "pro Debian" pitch. As opposed to RH, SuSE, Mandrake (the ones I
have worked with), Debian does let you tweak things to a very high
degree with little GUIs interfering.

You can do an experiment. Burn the latest Knoppix live CD pop it into
your laptop and play with it as much as you like to get a real life,
first hand impression. It will not touch your hard disk in any way.
After that you could either go for a sarge netinst or if you are a lazy
guy which doesn't mind having some 2000 packages installed you can do a
Knoppix hd install which basically clones Knoppix on your hard disk.
After that you are left with a fairly standard Debian system which you
can tweak at your own leisure. I personallly like a minimal sarge
netinst and then select the packages I need one by one.

HTH,
Bob