[ltp] madwifi on Debian sarge with kernel 2.6.8

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:18:57 -0600

morpheus wrote:

>>I then downloaded the sources (apt-get source madwifi) and tried a
>>fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage that resulted in another error:
>>dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper (>> 4.0.0) sysutils
>>dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
>>

>Have you tried downloading the raw source (not packaged) and just
>compiling it with make?
>This is what I did and it worked immediately.

But that's not the Debian way.  apt-get build-dep <source-pkg> will
fetch everything you need to build <source-pkg>.  The advantage is that
you end up with a .deb package that you can install anywhere that you
also install the corresponding kernel package.  I can build kernels and
kernel module packages on a fast box and then go install the resulting
packages on a slow box.  With "make; make install" on the original
source I have to do everything on the target machine.  It takes a long
time to build a 2.6.x kernel and modules on a Pentium 120, believe me.

wes