[ltp] HDIO_SCAN_HWIF failed: Input/output error (ultrabay)

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:35:36 +0100

Hi,

I have a thinkpad T42p, and I've just upgraded from a well working setup
with 2.4 and APM to the brave new world of 2.6 and ACPI :)
(I had to upgrade to 2.6 eventually, and Ted T'so warned me that APM in
2.6 had issues, so I just took the plunge and went to ACPI)

I have acpid installed, as well as ibm-acpi, tpb and kernel module,
and also laptop_mode (all on debian). I had 2.6.9 and now 2.6.10

After minimal tinkering, I got F4 to call a simple swsusp script
/etc/init.d/hotplug stop
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh stop
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh start
/etc/init.d/hotplug start &
# This doesn't seem needed with my X
#/usr/local/bin/fakex

Similarly, I have hibernate working too

I'm still trying to get the ultrabay working. Pushing the eject lever runs
/etc/acpi/ibm-eject.sh, which does this:
/bin/sync
sh /usr/share/doc/hdparm/contrib/idectl 1 off
/bin/echo eject > /proc/acpi/ibm/bay

putting the same drive back in (hard drive), runs /etc/acpi/ibm-rescan.sh:
/bin/sleep 1
/bin/sync
sh /usr/share/doc/hdparm/contrib/idectl 1 rescan

which yields
 HDIO_SCAN_HWIF failed: Input/output error

At this point, accessing /dev/hdc hardlocks my machine, until I
forcefully eject the HD (i.e. with the drive LED still on since acpid
can't run the eject script as the machine is hung)

So, what's the story? Is this not supposed to work at all?
Am I missing some patch, or something?

Thanks
Marc