[ltp] Sound on 600e with Debian Sarge distro

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:01:07 -0800

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 12:49 pm, Bert Haskins wrote:
> Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:
> >What you are going to have to do is manually modprobe the driver after
> >everything else is up and running. It's a nasty kludge but it works. My
> >friend Chad wrote it up as a very small shell script, with only this line:
> >
> >/sbin/modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5 dma1=1
> > dma2=0 isapnp=0
>
> I have never been able to get sound on either my 770x or 770z under Alsa
> and or any 2.6 kernel.
> Alsaconf  finds the sound chip says to use a CS4236 but thinks that it
> is a legacy ISA and fails with the
> message "No legacy sound cards found".
> The  fc2 sound card detection tool says no soundcards were detected.
> /proc/ ioports... interrupts don't show anything for sound.
> Now this is really strange:
> lspci  does show "Multimedia audio controller: Cirus logic CS 4610/11
> [Crystal clear SoundFusion Accelerator] (rev 01)"
> So which is right, is this sound chip ISA or PCI?

It's ISA but it's addressed like PCI for some weird reason.

The PCI chip that is fooling autodetect is the mwave modem.

This is why you have the line isapnp=0 in the modprobe line. Try it, it might
work for you.
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273