[ltp] Sound on 600e with Debian Sarge distro

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:49:08 -0800

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 01:33 pm, Stan Weddington wrote:

> OK... what now?

Sacrifice a black chicken, obtained without haggling, at a crossroads at
Midnight. Boil the chicken until the meat falls off the bones. Drink half of
the broth, throw the other half away. Let the light of the full moon shine on
the bones. Then shake the bones in front of the offending ThinkPad 600 series
computer.

(just kidding!)

Seriously, this is what works for me. My friend Chad doesn't need to use this
for his own machine...somehow or another he got ALSA to install the right
driver at the first go. Other people do other things with varying degrees of
success.

The problem with the 600 series is that there is not one, not two, but THREE
chips that look like sound cards to Linux. The actual Crystal chip is one of
them, the mwave is another, and the video chipset has a DSP that can be used
as sound circuitry if a designer opted to do so.

It's a funky design, and IBM didn't document everything. However, they *did*
come clean about it to Microsoft. This is why Windows 2000 "just works" on a
ThinkPad 600, and why we have to wrestle it to work under Linux. And why luck
has something to do with it too.

Michelle
--
Michelle Klein-Hass