[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:06:22 -0600

Bob Alexander wrote:

> Michelle Klein-Hass wrote:
>
>> I like Debian. I like being able to issue two commands and have an
>> up-to-date system. Really, considering how bad RPM Hell has gotten, I
>> don't know why anyone would go with anything other than a
>> Debian-based system. It rocks.
>

> Michelle,
> I love you :) Being older I tend to be less overt in my passions (for
> operating systems) and therefore tried to set the balance straight.
>
> As Michelle says there are aplenty of Debian derivatives which tend to
> "perfect" Debian in a way or other.
>
> The same good example Michelle comes out with can be applied ot
> another fine (Brazilian) derivative of Debian which is (was) called
> Kurumin. At one time when Knppix did not succeed onto one specific
> hardware, Kurumin did.
>
> BTW There is an interesting variant of Knoppix called Morphix which is
> more modular.
>
> But (again) as Michelle says (and I have already in my previous
> appends)  use a Debian live-cd only to play a little if it supports
> your HW out of the box but then the way to go is the sarge netinst
> bootable ISO image (around 120 MB IIRC).
>
> With the connectivity the original poster has (4 Mb/s what a dream)
> the rest will be a breeze !
>
> HTH,
> Bob

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.  I like the
idea of downloading a livecd and seeing what happens first, I hadn't
thought about that and it seems like the perfect way to go.  I've been
talking to a friend (a devout debian user) and have decided to try both
debian and gentoo (in that order) via the livecd route.  I may toy
around with gentoo on an extra box that I have here at home just to see
what it's like, but purely for the ease of install, I'll probably end up
with debian on the thinkpad.

Believe me that 4mb/s line isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I pay
dearly for it, and since it's broadband I'm only able to get about
3.5mb/s down out of it on a regular basis, since not too many others in
my area are willing to pay the premium for it.  My upload is only 768k
though so that's a little lackluster, such is life I guess....

- Josh