[ltp] Slackware on T42?

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:25:48 -0500

> The only RPM hell I have experienced is the stupid dependencies
> related to Red Hat's retarded GUI administration tools, which have
> sound events so they require GNOME sound, and GNOME and libogg, etc.
> On servers.  Oi.  I'm hating Red Hat more and more with each release
> and wish we could have more systems with SuSE. Debian is out of the
> question because most of the systems don't have direct internet
> access.

I've installed apt on my Fedora distro and don't muck around with yum,
up2date or "Red Hat Network" GUI crapola.  Apt handles RPMs just fine,
thank you!  In fact, I never got that damned RHN thing to work
anyway...it just freezes.
So, when I want a package it's apt-get install, and once a week cron
runs an apt-get dist-upgrade for me, and I'm all set!