[ltp] Still T42 Radeon fglrx crash & resolution issues?

Lenz Grimmer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:12:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Kelvin KAN wrote:

> I am planning to buy a T42 w/ ATI Radeon 9600 @ 1400x1050 LCD.

Nice machine - I have it here, too. Make sure to get plenty of RAM for it,
the hard disk tends to become a bottle neck, if the kernel starts swapping
(just a side note).

> I heard here and elsewhere that ATI's fglrx driver for Radeon had some
> problems, when running OpenGL apps or when DRI enabled:
>
> 1.  May crash or hang the X window on resume from suspend or hibernate.
> 2.  Cannot utilize the full 1400x1050 resolution of the LCD.

Let me add here:

3. No 3D (DRI) when using X.org - the fglrx driver needs to be fixed to
   work with X.org 6.8

> Questions:
>
> 1.  Has the latest ATI driver fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm of 2004.11.9 fixed
> the issues?
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

Not for me. As compatibility with X.org 6.8 (as shipped with SUSE Linux
9.2) is still my main problem, I did not test if 1 or 2 were fixed. From
the reports I have seen, 1) may still be problematic.

For 2D, the radeon driver incluced in X.org 6.8 works well in 1400x1050
and suspends/hibernates nicely. 3D would be nice, but for the time being
the X.org driver seems to be the better choice.

> 2.  If not yet, any workaround while still maintaining the DRI function?

I am not aware of any other workaround than waiting for ATI to release a
fixed driver :(

> 3.  Any other problems if I am not using suspend/hibernate?

Don't know, sorry.

> 4.  Does the Direct Rendering Project http://dri.sf.net support Radeon
>    9600, and more stable than the offical ATI version?

AFAIK they do not, as ATI does not release the chip specs without
requiring them to sign an NDA that would prohibit them to release the
driver as Open Source.

Bye,
	LenZ
- --