[ltp] Handy little device (& cheap!)

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:03:55 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Crispian Thorne wrote:

> I was looking for a PCMCIA compact flash reader to replace the Smart
> Media one I had been using as I have upgraded my digital camera to one
> thet uses CF when I came across this little number
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=778454&sku=I74-1834.

Yes, a flash card reader is more or less plug-and-play with the latest Linux
distros. Works fine.

Funny that you should bring this up, though. I've been wondering . . .

With some shops deep-discounting some of the less popular varieties of
memory cards, namely MMC, would it maybe be worthwhile picking up a few
of these, cheap, just as a means of backing up files? I got a multi-card
type card reader to use with my camera's flash cards, but it'll read 8
different formats of cards.

I know that camera-type memory cards don't have all the memory management
circuitry of flash drives (USB thumb drives), but what are the actual
disadvantages of using them for, say, backup of files off a hard drive?
Shorter rewrite life, maybe?