[ltp] Handy little device (& cheap!)

Sarvin Coachbuilder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:13:10 -0800

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:03:55 -0700 (MST), "M. Leo Cooper"
<thegrendel@theriver.com> said:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Crispian Thorne wrote:
>
> > I was looking for a PCMCIA compact flash reader to replace the Smart
> > Media one I had been using as I have upgraded my digital camera to one
> > thet uses CF when I came across this little number
> > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=778454&sku=I74-1834.
>
> Yes, a flash card reader is more or less plug-and-play with the latest
> Linux
> distros. Works fine.
>
> Funny that you should bring this up, though. I've been wondering . . .
>
> With some shops deep-discounting some of the less popular varieties of
> memory cards, namely MMC, would it maybe be worthwhile picking up a few
> of these, cheap, just as a means of backing up files? I got a multi-card
> type card reader to use with my camera's flash cards, but it'll read 8
> different formats of cards.
>
> I know that camera-type memory cards don't have all the memory management
> circuitry of flash drives (USB thumb drives), but what are the actual
> disadvantages of using them for, say, backup of files off a hard drive?
> Shorter rewrite life, maybe?

I'm using an IBM X30 with the cf card reader built in. In addition to
the cf card reader I have added a cf to SD reader so now I have an CF
and SD card reader built in to the laptop. I'm not positive but I think
that mmc doesn't have the through put of other, newer types of card
memory.