[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:43:13 -0700

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:17:13 +0100, Andr=E9 Wyrwa <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Joshua, i'm loosing your point.

Obviously.  You clearly didn't read my posts very carefully.  The
others who have responded to me get what I'm saying.

I'll try not to repeat myself too much here.

> software (Mozilla, GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice, ...) and i also think that it
> is good to have the diversity we have.

For who?

For the technical people, geeks and programmers?  Sure.  Lots of
choice is great.  For the people that Linux desktop projects are so
desparately trying to convert?  It's horrible.  I've heard plenty of
stories about people converting their parents to use Linux instead of
Windows, good and bad.  In the end, Linux is simply not ready for the
desktop except for the techies and geeks.  The only way it is usable
for the nontechie types is because they almost always have some geeky
friend or relative willing to help them.

> And you might also have the feeling that you can't manage to be
> competent about Linux the same way as one can be competent about
> Windows. There are no Linux system administrators in the sense of
> Windows system administrators. Or actually there are, but in truth they
> are SuSE administrators or RedHat admins or whatever.

This paragraph clearly shows that you haven't read my posts.

I am a Red Hat Certified Engineer.  I have been using Linux as a
desktop OS for 10 years and have been professionally managing Linux
systems for five years.  I have managed corporate environments with
Red Hat, SuSE and Debian based systems in those five years.

My competence with Linux is FAR more than adequate.  Don't make
assumptions because you didn't bother to read my posts.  I have stated
my years of experience before.

> PS: Personally i think that "having not enough time" is nothing but an
> expression of choice.

Partially, it is choice.  I choose to spend time with my family, who
doesn't need a father/husband to sit in front of a computer all night.
 I've already done the tweaking and tinkering until the wee hours of
the morning.  I'm done with it.  I use Windows at home because I don't
have to screw with driver issues, games that won't run, multimedia
websites that won't load and so on.  My copies of Windows were cheap
through a friend. All the software I use except for games is free (as
in beer, some as in speech).

Don't make assumptions about my life, my choices or how I use a computer. =
=20

--=20
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!