[ltp] 770X screen resolution

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:57:52 -0500

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 02:01, after a long battle with technology,
Claude Brisson wrote:
> I just installed a debian woody 2.4 on my old 770X thinkpad.
> I managed everythink to work fine except the resolution :
> I've got the last release of X86free and I borrowed the XF86Config
> from this list so I assume it is correct but the default gnome session
> continues to show up in 800x600 instead of the wanted 1280x1024
> whatever I try.

What XF86Config did you use?  The docs at
http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/bm/tp770x/XF86Config say that the
appropriate part of the Monitor section goes like so:

  HorizSync    30-65
  VertRefresh  50.0-70.0
  Modeline "1280x1024"  110 1280 1328 1512 1712 1024 1025 1028 1054
# NOTE: Modeline should not be necessary if you're using X 4.n, as you
# should be.  X 3.6 is really old, even for Debian.

...and you need to have the following in the Screen section:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "trident"
    Device      "whatever"
    Monitor     "whatever you called it"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
  Subsection "Display"
      Depth       16
      Modes       "1280x1024"
  EndSubsection

> all the docs I found say I should try changing the resolution by
> using ctrl-alt + and -

That only works when you have multiple Modes defined in your XF86Config.
You can get the same result by doing "xvidtune -next" from the command
line if your NumLock is being annoying (as it often is on Thinkpads.)
I use "xmodmap -e 'keycode 77 = Num_Lock' " on my Thinkpad A22p to get
NumLock working properly.

> did I miss something ?

Maybe.  Look at your Modes and make sure "1280x1024" is listed, if it
isn't, then put it in.  HTH,

--
   We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
   management response is to frantically swap in new counters to see if