[ltp] Status of ACPI on T40

Alexander Gran linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:39:31 +0100

--Boundary-02=_WYPIABR75foPZ57

Hi,

I just gave acpi an other try this night. This are my results:
I used linux-2.6.2-rc3-mm1 on a T40p 2373-G1G.
Config: http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/262-rc3-mm1.acpi.config
errors: http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/syslog.acpi
Booting is ok. All ACPI modules load without warning, only the relaxed AML =
is=20
needed.
What works:
Battery monitoring, thermal monitoring, ac-adapter, lid-button are all ok.
The sound-system survives a suspend. Great.
laptop_mode is in this kernel, finally. woooot.
=46an isn't recognized. Power-button is recognized, but gives no events.
BTW: I found the reason, why Windows gets a longer battery-time than we do:
The Processor has 3 power-saving types:
P-states, C-states and T-states.
P-states are what you controll with speedstep-centrino, the cpufreq stuff.
T-states are throtteling, and mostly obsolete. can be controlled by cpufreq=
=20
(P4clockmod IIRC) or acpi
C-states are what't not working right:
The CPU has C0-C3. C0 is full speed, the rest is slower. According to the A=
CPI=20
documentation the CPU should switch automagically to the slower modes after=
=20
some time of inactivaty. However it cannot controll busmaster PCI transfers=
=20
in C3. Now some driver doesn't gets busmaster right, and due to this, the c=
pu=20
never go's to C3 (my went to C3 after some fiddeling with suspend (see late=
r)=20
and the PCI-Bus crashed, hence I know. If my CPU uses C3, laptop_mode and=20
backlight  mostly dimmed, I reached 5h+ :)
Other things that don't work:
When suspending, the USB-drivers don't get it right, and do not work after=
=20
resuming. Unloading them before suspending and loading them afterwards=20
doesn't help either. Additionally there seems to be issues with the PCI bus=
=2E=20
I got random errors (everything between kernel-oops, error-loops and=20
warnings) when reinserting the uhci_hcd module.
After resuming my power LED is not switched on (not so problematic), and th=
e =20
notebook doesn't ask for a password (Really problematic).
The e1000 module still needs the unload/load procedure.

I wonder if I should send this to some kernel-list?!

regards
Al'acpi'ex

=2D-=20
Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
	Linux however is `expert friendly'.
Encrypted Mails welcome.
PGP-Key at http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/pgpkey.asc | Key-ID: 0x6D7DD291