[ltp] Thinkpad T41P having trouble waking up in the morning -- needs more caffeine?

William R Sowerbutts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:45:31 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting my lovely new T41P to sleep. Well, actually, going
to sleep is fine -- it's waking up again that causes the trouble ;-)

The hardware is a 2373GEU; 1.7GHz Pentium-M, Atheros A/B/G wireless, an ATI
FireGL T2, and the Intel 855PM chipset. BIOS is dated December 2003.

The best results I've had so far were with running a 2.6.2-mm1 with no APIC
support -- removing APIC support seems to be critical to success. ACPI was
used for power management. The ATI kernel module was not loaded. XFree86 4.3.0
was running. In this configuration, writing a "3" to /proc/acpi/sleep resulted
in the system going to sleep very nicely. Tapping the power button revived the
system. The graphics almost completely recovered, but the colours went, well
... bonkers, really. Everything else came back to life (including the
wireless). Restarting the X server fixed the graphics, but obviously this is a
pain in the arse.

The same experiment with the ATI "fglrx" module loaded resulted in mushed-up
graphics and a hung system ;(

Anyone got any useful advice to get this system working better? I'm sure
someone must have it working properly. Apart from this insomnia, the hardware
is working really excellently -- I'm extremely impressed with this machine,
it's by far and away the best laptop I've ever seen!

Thanks in advance,

Will

William R Sowerbutts                                  will@sowerbutts.com
Coder / Guru / Nrrrd                                http://sowerbutts.com
         main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
         (m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}