[ltp] USB Serial Port

pete hilton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:06:28 -0800

Daniel Jimenez writes:

 > Daniel Jimenez wrote:
 > > Hi all,
 > >
 > > I've just purchased a new Thinkpad T41. Like many Thinkpad users one of
 > > my primary uses for this unit will be configuring routers/switches/other
 > > manageable devices.
 > >
 > > As you already know the T41 does not come with a serial port.
 > >
 > > Does anyone have any USB based serial ports they recommend? What about
 > > maybe a PCMCIA one that uses two slots?
 > >
 > > TIA,
 >
 > Perhaps I should have been more specific...
 >
 > By ease of use I mean: I must be able to plug it in EVERY TIME and know
 > I'll get a reliable working serial port.
 >
 > Thanks!,
 > --
 > Daniel Jimenez <djimenez[at]pobox[dot]com>
 > Tell your ISP to support SPF/SASL AUTH (http://spf.pobox.com) today!

Hi there,
         I have a T40 with the same "problem".  I have a Keyspan USA
4 serialport USB device.  This works perfectly for me with one caveat.
When plugged directly into the T40 USB port it sometimes does get get
detected.  Removing and re-inserting ALWAYS works.  Recently I have
got a USB mini-hub (I need to attach more than 2 devices).  With the
Keyspan plugged into the hub it comes up every time without fail.

Performance has been reliable.

cheers
pete

--