[ltp] BIOS/Firmware Updates

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:25:13 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:

> I killed off Windows completely and had to go the long way of abusing
> the Bochs i386 emulator and a few old MS-DOS diskettes to create
> bootable diskette images which I then burned on a CD-RW to boot from (no
> diskette drive here).

No need for diskette drive or CD to boot DOS floppies. You can boot it
straight from the harddisk using Grub/LILO and MEMDISK from SYSLINUX. E.g.
LILO entries to boot a DOS diskette image can be done as

image=/boot/memdisk
        label="DOS"
        initrd=/boot/floppy-img.bin

> It would help a lot if IBM offered the pure diskette images (i.e.

Agree. IBM's service is excellent, just things are sometimes archaic,
inefficient and don't work at all.

	Szaka