[ltp] BIOS/Firmware Updates

Sebastian Kapfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 15:51:30 +0100

--=-7d4rTButlBDpcW/AXhq4

Am So, den 08.02.2004 schrieb Szakacsits Szabolcs um 12:25:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
>=20
> > I killed off Windows completely and had to go the long way of abusing
> > the Bochs i386 emulator and a few old MS-DOS diskettes to create
> > bootable diskette images which I then burned on a CD-RW to boot from (n=
> > diskette drive here).=20
>=20
> No need for diskette drive or CD to boot DOS floppies. You can boot it
> straight from the harddisk using Grub/LILO and MEMDISK from SYSLINUX. E.g=
.
> LILO entries to boot a DOS diskette image can be done as
>=20
> image=3D/boot/memdisk
>         label=3D"DOS"
>         initrd=3D/boot/floppy-img.bin

Hmm. That sounds interesting. I once tried to boot it via
other=3D/boot/myfloppy.img, but that didn't work out well. OTOH messing
with the boot loader isn't much better than burning a CD-R.

> > It would help a lot if IBM offered the pure diskette images (i.e.
>=20
> Agree. IBM's service is excellent, just things are sometimes archaic,
> inefficient and don't work at all.=20

*g*

--=20
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!

--=-7d4rTButlBDpcW/AXhq4

--=-7d4rTButlBDpcW/AXhq4--