[ltp] "Light" applications for a laptop

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:22:23 +0200

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 06:06:31PM +0000, Joseph Manning wrote:
> Dear Luis,
>=20
>    A ThinkPad 770 ??? --- luxury!  Two HUNDRED and thirty-three MHz; wow!
>=20
>    I'm still running a ThinkPad 755CX (75 MHz, 40 Mb ram).

I still have a 755CD (75 MHz, 40 MB RAM) on the shelf.  The worst
limiting factor on it was the small hard drive (1.1 GB).

>    I use rxvt rather than xterm for a terminal; apparently it uses
>    far less memory, which should indirectly make it faster, specially
>    if several terminal windows are open simultaneously.  However,
>    I have not actually run any tests to compare them.

I have.  rxvt is very slightly slower but it feels like it is much
faster.  This is because rxvt uses double buffering and thus has no
flickering when it updates the screen (it's very perceptible when you
hold down Shift+PgUp with a long scrollback buffer).

I'd still use rxvt, but it does not support UTF-8, so I have to use
xterm now.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I am right now in the process of reading the Xft source code (the suspense =
near
the end of Chapter 7 is unbearable) [...]
	-- Juliusz Chroboczek

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--