[ltp] apm --standby and an other 'problem'

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:44:49 +0200

--3siQDZowHQqNOShm

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:22:16AM +0100, Konstantin wrote:
> apm --standby works fine for my T40, also with the keys Fn + F3, but
> the sound stops playing, I don't know why the programms are stopped on
> standby. This must be a linux option, because it works under windows.

You might take a look at /etc/apm/event.d/.  I have an 'alsa' script
there that sends SIGSTOP to all processes that use the sound card on
suspend.  I do not know if that also applies to standby.

> The only thing I want is to use my T40 as mp3 player without running
> the display all the time, what wastes the most battery power :(

You can use tpctl (or the BIOS IIRC) to disable suspend on lid closure.
Then when you close the lid the LCD will go off (nearly doubling battery
time) and the music will continue playing.

> Another linux not thinkpad Problem:
> If I use my thinkpad under terminal, the harddisk is quit and stays on
> standby mode, I hear not one sound of my thinkpad, but if I start
> Xwindows(whatever xfce, kde, gnome) a process writes or read something
> of the hd, so it spins up every 30 seconds and then goes to standby
> mode again. Yes this kill my nerves, the harddisk and the battery :(
> No I do nothing on my laptop in this time and it's not sim(icq) or IRC
> or Sylpheed(e-mail programm) or any MP3 player(not one is open or
> running), because I tried it with an empty desktop and it's alway the
> same problem :(

I have the same problem.  Even in single user mode, with all daemons
stopped and / mounted noatime, the disk would still spin up.

Yesterday I tried laptop-mode which is part of 2.4.24.  (I had to locate
laptop-mode.sh on the Internet, since it was not present in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation).  Did not help -- the disk would still
spin up every 30 seconds.  Enabling /proc/sys/vm/block_dump showed that
the process that did most of the waking up was kjournald.  I did not try
single user mode this time.

Could it be that kjournald is just hiding some other application that
accesses my ext3 partition?  Is this just some journal commit that
occurs every 30 seconds and can be tuned in /proc/sys?  I thought
laptop-mode.sh would take care of everything.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Most security experts REALLY believe in firewalls. The expect that, when th=
ey
die, arrive at the great firewall in the sky where Saint Peter is running a
default policy of REJECT.
		--- Sander Plomp

--3siQDZowHQqNOShm

--3siQDZowHQqNOShm--