[ltp] ultrabay hotswap

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:10:38 -0500

On Friday 13 February 2004 23:52, after a long battle with technology,
Reed Gregory wrote:
> I saw this asked a while back with no responses so I thought I might
> give it a try again.  Has anyone gotten the ultrabay hotswap support
> working?    I have a cd-rw/dvd combo drive, floppy, and ultrabay
> battery for my T23 and would like to use them all without rebooting
> or even suspending.

Recent tarballs of hdparm include a shell script that you can use
together with tpctl to do hotswapping of Ultrabay devices on a 600E
(and almost certainly other Thinkpads).  Basically, the scripts
included check the output from tpctl -iU every 15 seconds, and if it's
different from what it was last time, they do "hdparm -U /dev/hdc"
followed by "hdparm -R /dev/hdc".  This is still considered
experimental, but it appears to work for some people.  I haven't tried
it out myself because I only have one Ultrabay device.  HTH,

--
   Men are from Venus, pop psychology is from the assignment in emacs,
   and it's full of photosynthetic organisms.  --MegaHAL, trained on