[ltp] RH 9.0 + WinXP on T40

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:19:39 -0500

On Monday 16 February 2004 02:50 am, Ramkumar Rengaswamy wrote:
> I am using qtparted provided by Koppix to partition my hard-drive. It does
> not seem to show the HPA at the end of the disk. I dont know if it
> over-writes the HPA.

The HPA is hidden by the BIOS unless you set it to be visible.  This way you
cannot hurt it.  If you want to reclaim the space, you may want to get the
recovery disks first, then set the BIOS to make the HPA visible.  Once it is
visible, you should be able to create a partition on it.

When I tried to install Fedora Core 1 on the HPA, the disk druid could not
make a partition on it, I would get an error.  I ended up using the diskdrake
tool from the mandrake 9.2 installer to create the partition and then Fedora
went in without a hitch.
--
/g