[ltp] Yet another IRDA setup: 2.6.0 with devfs

Dale Amon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:32:36 +0000

Sigh. I've skimmed this archive and most of the other
docs I can find... and they leave one in total confusion
as to which actions apply to which model TP, kernel,
debian package set...

Here is where I'm at. I've got a Linux 2.6.0 kernel
running. I've installed the current version of gnokii
from source and it installs fine, but eventually gives
up, unable to communicate with the device.

I've got an enabled chip:

 Found NSC PC87338 Controller at 0x2e, DevID=0x0b, Rev. 2
    SIR Base 0x2f8, FIR Base 0x2f8
    IRQ = 3, DMA = 3
    Enabled: yes, Suspended: no
    UART compatible: yes
    Half duplex delay = 0 us

I've got everything built into the kernel:

	CONFIG_IRDA=m
	CONFIG_IRDA_ULTRA=y
	CONFIG_IRDA_CACHE_LAST_LSAP=y
	CONFIG_IRDA_FAST_RR=y
	CONFIG_IRDA_DEBUG=y
	CONFIG_USB_IRDA=m

I've manually modprobe'd and insmod'ed modules:

	Module                  Size  Used by
	ircomm_tty             40392  0
	ircomm                 22884  1 ircomm_tty
	irda                  207488  2 ircomm_tty,ircomm

I have /proc/sys/net/irda/ entries of:

debug      discovery_slots     lap_keepalive_time  max_tx_data_size  slot_timeout
devname    discovery_timeout   max_baud_rate       max_tx_window     warn_noreply_time
discovery  fast_poll_increase  max_noreply_time    min_tx_turn_time

I've manually done:
	echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/debug
	echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery

However I'm left with a mismatch when it comes to
irattach. Some documentation talks of using /dev/ttyS1;
others talk of /dev/irda0; and in DEVFS I see /dev/ircomm[0-n].

So should I:

	irattach /dev/ircomm0 -s

instead of what the docs suggest?

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"