[ltp] Yet another IRDA setup: 2.6.0 with devfs

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:58:53 +0200

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 04:32:36PM +0000, Dale Amon wrote:
>  Found NSC PC87338 Controller at 0x2e, DevID=3D0x0b, Rev. 2
[...]
> However I'm left with a mismatch when it comes to
> irattach. Some documentation talks of using /dev/ttyS1;
> others talk of /dev/irda0; and in DEVFS I see /dev/ircomm[0-n].
>
> So should I:
>=20
> 	irattach /dev/ircomm0 -s
>=20
> instead of what the docs suggest?=20

No.  If you want to use SIR (slow, but somewhat simpler to set up), do
not modprobe nsc-ircc and specify '/dev/ttyS1' to irattach.  If you want
to use FIR (fast), you need to modprobe nsc-ircc (possibly with
appropriate arguments, and possibly you'll have to use setserial to
disable /dev/ttyS1 to allow the nsc-ircc module to access the IrDA
device resources otherwise taken by the serial driver) and then specify
just 'irda0' without /dev.

/dev/ircomm0 is something completely different -- once you got IrDA
working, you can use it to communicate with other infrared devices as if
it were a serial port.

Disclaimer: I've only tried this on 2.4 without devfs.  I expect
/dev/ttyS1 is named differently on a devfs system.  The irda0 argument
to irattach does not refer to a character device, but to a network
interface instead, so it should stay the same.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
Any sufficiently advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux.
		-- Jim Dennis

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2--