[ltp] Thinkpad 770 will not boot

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:58:04 -0800

I have to say that this sounded like the perfect explanation, but I removed and
tested the battery - it did have a slight fogging over the neg terminal, but
gave a strong 3v, re-seated it, no difference.  Replaced it anyway with new, no
difference, either.  Dang!  Thanks for the rec tho.  I should have tried that
myself, having been looking at it every time I futzed with the RAM.

Thanks
Harry

William Lueders wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I haven't seen it suggested but the first thing I would have suspected
> would be the CMOS battery.  It is easy to change in the 770, just remove
> the old button batt and go to radio shack and get another.  Give it a try.
>
> At 10:42 PM 2/16/04, Harry Mangalam wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bill, interesting approach - never heard of this one before..
>> But no go.
>>
>> Just sits there with cooling fan going (so the MB is getting power to
>> SOME components), but no disk spinup, no power to eject a CD, no IBM
>> THINKPAD splash screen, etc.  Seem that something is dead.  Maybe it's
>> time to part it out for ebay..
>>
>> hjm

Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (v&f) - hjm@tacgi.com