[ltp] raid1 on thinkpad A31

Reed Gregory linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:31:19 -0500

--Boundary-02=_q/kMAXXPLvbhZvh

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 11:55 am, Andy Firman wrote:
> I just learned how to run a full system on Linux software
> RAID1 and would like to do this with my Linux Thinkpad.
> (i.e. root on raid1)
>
> My question is about IDE controllers on Thinkpads.
>
> /dev/hda is my first 40GB IDE drive.
> /dev/hdb is my second 40GB IDE drive.
> /dev/hdc is my cdrom.
>
> I just pulled the cdrom and put in my second IDE drive
> in its place and it works fine on /dev/hdc.
>
> For a proper RAID1 mirror, it is best to have the 2 drives
> on different controllers.  If they are both on the same
> controller, and that controller dies, you can't boot.
>
> I have no idea what the controllers are like on a
> Thinkpad motherboard and assume there is no /dev/hdd.
>
> Are hda, hdb, and hdc all on the same controller?

You can check you dmesg for this information.  look for ide0 and ide1. =20
Here is the information on my T23.  Notice that hda and hdc are on=20
different controllers (ide0 and ide1).

ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

> Any other comments on my Thinkpad RAID1 project are welcome.

So what are you gonna do if you want to use the cdrom.  run without raid=20
for a while, then rebuild the mirror once you are done with using the=20
cdrom?

=2D-=20
Reed Gregory
reed@progoth.com