[ltp] raid1 on thinkpad A31

Ferdinand Haselbacher (jr.) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:40:58 +0100

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:55:18AM -0500, Andy Firman wrote:
>=20
> I just learned how to run a full system on Linux software
> RAID1 and would like to do this with my Linux Thinkpad.
> (i.e. root on raid1)
>=20
> My question is about IDE controllers on Thinkpads.
>=20
> /dev/hda is my first 40GB IDE drive.
> /dev/hdb is my second 40GB IDE drive.
> /dev/hdc is my cdrom.
>=20
> I just pulled the cdrom and put in my second IDE drive
> in its place and it works fine on /dev/hdc.
>=20
> For a proper RAID1 mirror, it is best to have the 2 drives
> on different controllers.  If they are both on the same
> controller, and that controller dies, you can't boot.
you can't see the controller as two seperated chips ! they have two differe=
nt
irq's but they are in the same enclosure ! so if one cntroller dies it's ve=
ry
likely that the second one is also dead ! The only thing why you should put
the disks on different controllers is because of the data transfer rate ! so
you can write simultniously to both harddrives with "full" ide bus speed.=
=20
especially for RAID I it is very helpfull if they are on two sperated
controllers because they are writing simultniously the same on both disks.

>=20
> I have no idea what the controllers are like on a=20
> Thinkpad motherboard and assume there is no /dev/hdd.
>=20
> Are hda, hdb, and hdc all on the same controller?
>=20
> Any other comments on my Thinkpad RAID1 project are welcome.
For what the hell do u need raid on an notebook ? don't you pay a very high
price for redundancy ? wouldn't it be easier if u just use intermezzo fs to
sync your files daily with a home located data server !? IMHO this would be
much more inexpensive, and if u don't know what to do with your second 2,5"
hd built a car MP3-Player :-)=20