[ltp] raid1 on thinkpad A31

Jon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:57:40 +1100 (EST)

> On Tuesday 17 February 2004 11:55 am, Andy Firman wrote:
>> I just learned how to run a full system on Linux software
>> RAID1 and would like to do this with my Linux Thinkpad.
>> (i.e. root on raid1)
>>
>> My question is about IDE controllers on Thinkpads.
>>
>> /dev/hda is my first 40GB IDE drive.
>> /dev/hdb is my second 40GB IDE drive.
>> /dev/hdc is my cdrom.
>>
>> I just pulled the cdrom and put in my second IDE drive
>> in its place and it works fine on /dev/hdc.
>>
>> For a proper RAID1 mirror, it is best to have the 2 drives
>> on different controllers.  If they are both on the same
>> controller, and that controller dies, you can't boot.
>>
>> I have no idea what the controllers are like on a
>> Thinkpad motherboard and assume there is no /dev/hdd.
>>
>> Are hda, hdb, and hdc all on the same controller?
>
> You can check you dmesg for this information.  look for ide0 and ide1.
> Here is the information on my T23.  Notice that hda and hdc are on
> different controllers (ide0 and ide1).
>
> ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

Are you sure they're on different controllers? I think that just means
they are on different channels. Two channels on the same controller.

You should look for the string "IDE controller at PCI slot" somewhere in
the dmesg output. I think there will only be one such controller. Can't be
bothered to boot linux to look at my dmesg at the moment :)

Jon.