[ltp] ThinkPad T41P with Debian

William R Sowerbutts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:10:31 +0000

Hi

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:40:05PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
>  - does the video come back for you on the console after a sleep
>    (S3)?  For me, the X vt comes back fine after a resume, but the
>    consoles are black until a reboot.  I've tried a few combinations
>    of kernel options, but so far, all have behaved the same.

Yes, the updated radeon driver in 2.6.3-rc3-mm1 fixed this for me.
Unfortunately the video acceleration doesn't appear to work quite right yet,
but at least it comes back to life now ;)

>  - you might want to check out powernowd.  I've been running that
>    here on a t41p, and it seems to behave well.

Hey, sounds good! I'll check it out.

>  - FWIW I haven't had to do anything special about my ethernet card,
>    and I haven't tried usb yet, but I also have to "modprobe -r
>    ath_pci" before I sleep or suspend.

So e1000 survives S3 with your kernel? I may have to investigate further; I
don't use the wired Ethernet much.

>  - the latest (CVS) madwifi drivers improved a problem for me that's
>    similar to the one you describe [...]

It sounds like madwifi is going to be usable quite soon, but I don't have time
to hack on it myself and I need it to work now. Using DriverLoader makes me
feel doubly dirty, because not only does it use the binary Windows driver,
but there is there an open alternative ("ndiswrapper").

>  - to handle the sleep/resume driver issues, I just created
>    /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh and /etc/acpi/sleepbtn.sh files and set
>    these up via /etc/acpi/events/ to run at the right times.  Until
>    /proc/acpi/events works across S3 sleeps, this isn't as useful as
>    it might be for S3 sleep, but you can always invoke the script by
>    hand.

That was exactly my plan. The lack of event reporting on wakeup scuppered it,
though ;(

>    powerbtn.sh (an S4 sleep) stops some servers (ntp, powernowd,
>    etc.), saves the clock, sets the CPU to max (for the suspend
>    work), removes ath0, and then runs "echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep".
>    Whenever that command returns, it reverses these actions (except
>    that it doesn't automatically re-establish the network connection).

You have S4 working, then? Lucky boy ;) I've not been brave enough to try S4
out. Battery life in S3 seems to be pretty good, so it's not really necessary
for me.

Thanks for your tips!

Will

William R Sowerbutts                                  will@sowerbutts.com
Coder / Guru / Nrrrd                                http://sowerbutts.com
         main(){char*s=">#=0> ^#X@#@^7=",c=0,m;for(;c<15;c++)for
         (m=-1;m<7;putchar(m++/6&c%3/2?10:s[c]-31&1<<m?42:32));}