[ltp] RH 9.0 + WinXP on T40

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:17:35 -0500

On Monday 16 February 2004 10:09 am, Tomas Horsky wrote:
> Greg Meyer wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2004 02:50 am, Ramkumar Rengaswamy wrote:
> >>I am using qtparted provided by Koppix to partition my hard-drive. It
> >> does not seem to show the HPA at the end of the disk. I dont know if it
> >> over-writes the HPA.
> >
> > The HPA is hidden by the BIOS unless you set it to be visible.  This way
> > you cannot hurt it.  If you want to reclaim the space, you may want to
> > get the recovery disks first, then set the BIOS to make the HPA visible.
> > Once it is visible, you should be able to create a partition on it.
>
> I was using fdisk, and when it asked for an end cylinder of newly created
> partition, it offered number 5168 (or something like that). Original
> windows partition ended on 4773. That was while it was protected by BIOS (I
> did not change that setting). Will it overwrite it if I say 5168? I did not
> try...
5168 is the last cylinder on my machine with the HPA blown away and not
protected by the BIOS.  It would seem to me that by allowing that cylinder to
be used, that the HPA will be blown away.

> Is it safe to overwrite HPA (without recovery disk)? I do not want windows,
> I wiped it away immediately, but did not want to break something so I left
> HPA untouched. What else is located there except recovery for windows?

Yes if you never want Windows again.  The are some other diagnostics that are
useful if you use windows, but the BIOS is still accessible even without the
HPA present.

--
/g