[ltp] spin-down, hdparm -S, T40p, hitachi hard disk

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:18:35 +0100

Hi Fabrice.

On Mi, 2004-02-18 at 20:32, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
> I already observed that the drive not always respects the delay given
> with hdparm -S. Sometimes it doesn't sleep at all,  altough no IO occured
> during the given delay.

Same for my hitachi.
It just does not go to sleep automatically, regardless what I set with
hdparm.
If I send it to standby manually, it stays off for many minutes (which
seems to indicate that no process is keeping it from sleeping).

(Laptop-mode-patched, of course.)

> I assume that the BIOS modifies this paramater behind my back. Or
> maybe the smartd daemon also conflicts ?

I don't have the smartd running.
And I tried it with BIOS HD sleep settings "disabled", "immediately" and
"3 minutes". Didn't make any difference.

Seems the drive just does not get sleepy ever! :-/

Greetings, UW(e)

PS: Thanks BTW for your t40 site. Great source of information!