[ltp] ultrabay hotswap

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:06:07 +0100

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 06:10, Matt Graham wrote:
> Recent tarballs of hdparm include a shell script that you can use
> together with tpctl to do hotswapping of Ultrabay devices on a 600E
> (and almost certainly other Thinkpads).  Basically, the scripts
> included check the output from tpctl -iU every 15 seconds, and if it's
> different from what it was last time, they do "hdparm -U /dev/hdc"
> followed by "hdparm -R /dev/hdc".  This is still considered
> experimental, but it appears to work for some people.  I haven't tried
> it out myself because I only have one Ultrabay device.  HTH,

I looked at those scripts long ago, tried to improve them,
and finally decided that they are fundamentally flawed.

In any case the Linux IDE drivers fail if you do repeated
unregistration and registration.  Someone please correct
me if this is no longer the case.
--
Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk>