[ltp] R40 deep sleep

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:34:06 -0600

Matt Foster <Matt.Foster@Unilever.com> writes:

> I'm running 2.6.3 plus laptop mode patch over RedHat9 fairly happily
> on my R40 with only a couple of annoyances:
>
> If I boot with the mains disconnected the processor is detected at
> 1.2 GHz instead of the 2.0 it really is.

I had this same problem with my T41 until I rearranged my kernel cpu
frequency scaling options to have only the enhanced speedstep driver
enabled.  Also, FWIW, I use powernowd -- the combination seems to work
pretty well.

> echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep does suspend the machine to RAM, but there
> is no way to wake it back up again, I end up pulling the battery.

At least with my machine, it would in fact wake back up, but the
display would never come back (i.e. as I recall, I could still ssh
in).  After upgrading to a CVS X, and using the drm-trunk-module-src
package, I was able to get resumes from RAM to work fine under X, but
the consoles still remain black.  You may or may not need an X that
recent -- I have the T2 radeon, so it needs a *really* recent X for
even just 2D support.

> I can't get any of the S4 techniques to work either.

S4 seems to work fine here, after I figured out which things need to
be compiled as modules and unloaded before suspend -- see my earlier
post(s) on the recent t41 thread.  At least on my machine, I only have
to remove ath_pci, but others seem to need to remove the ethernet and
usb drivers for sleep/resume to work cleanly.

> I have ACPI enabled, APM and CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC disabled.
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is also enabled as I have 1GB RAM.

I'm using the 4G config, and have to have APIC disabled as well.

Hope this helps.
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu