[ltp] TV out and Neomagic chipset

Johnny Casey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:05:05 -0600

Rudolf Marek wrote:
>>Do you know how to get this working under Linux?
>

> Oh yes Its working fine :)
>
> I have debian testing.
>
> I suppose if you write xvinfo it will write that Xvideo extension is
> present.
>
> I'm using MPlayer and If I want to "panscan" the movie I will get
> also Blue screen of blue screen :/
>
> So maybe the solution to disable panscan in xine.
>
> I think there vere some changies to X CVS with the XV
> So maybe it will be fixed in next version.

Hi,

I have a TP600 too with Debian unstable/testing.

The "Blue Screen" is the result of the XV extension running out of video
memory.  If you run in 1024x768 and 16bpp, 1024*768*2 = 1.5 MB bytes of
video memory will be consumed just to display the screen.  XV uses the
rest of the video memory to display the "video".  Thus at 1024x768x16
with 2 MB of video memory you can't even display a 640x480 movie at
16bpp in a window (600 KB).

1.5 MB + 600 KB > 2 MB

I haven't tried this, but at 800x600x16 you should be able to watch a
movie utilizing the full "display" since 800 * 600 * 2 * 2 < 2 MB.

I don't know enough about what the future plans for XV are to know if
they have fixed this "problem".

Cheers,
Johnny