[ltp] T40, 2.6.3 and power mgmt

Justin Mason linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:31:44 -0800

Hi all --

I'm the happy owner of a new T40, and am working through the setup of
Debian (well, Libranet); currently, it's more or less up to speed, except
for powersaving.

Here's some notes on some glitches I ran into:

- First off, I wanted to keep XP (occasionally need it for work-related
  stuff).  So I followed http://www.w-m-p.com/linux-on-t40.html 's
  guidelines regarding convert.exe -- and it *still* converted the FAT32
  filesystem to NTFS!

  It turns out that those instructions are incorrect; in fact, the app
  that does the conversion is called AUTOCONV.EXE. (see
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q157/9/63.ASP).  So I
  reverted from the predesktop area, booted Knoppix, and renamed all of:

	  C:\Windows\System32\CONVERT.EXE
	  C:\Windows\System32\AUTOCONV.EXE
	  C:\i386\CONVERT.EXE
	  C:\i386\AUTOCONV.EXE

  and hey presto, no conversion this time.

- Using parted from the Knoppix CD didn't work at all.   For some reason,
  any resizing of the primary partition caused WinXP to fail to boot.
  I had to install PartitionMagic to successfully resize the WinXP
  part and add some new ones for the Debian install.  (damn Windows!)

Now, the current situation with linux power mgmt:

- I'm using APM with kernel 2.6.3.  Things that work: Shutdown works fine.
  Suspend (both Fn-F4 and closing the lid) works fine from both text
  console and X when using APM.  "init 0" powers down OK.  All good there.

- using the thinkpad-5.0 package from tpctl.sf.net, "tpctl -Z" works
  fine too.

- Hibernate does not work.   Fn-F12 gives me a single low beep and does
  nothing.  I presume I need to get hold of PS2.EXE to set up
  a hibernation file for this before it'll work...

- idle screen-blanking works fine from a console, and will recover once
  there's keyboard activity; but fails with X.  It blanks after an idle
  period, but never comes back again.  The machine is still running,
  however; I can ssh in etc. and non-display stuff is working fine.

  So -- my question.  Is this the Radeon driver issue? Do I still need to
  hit up CVS DRI for this?  I'm using X 4.3.0, fwiw.

- ACPI generally doesn't seem to work ;)  -- Fn-F4 and Fn-F12 do nothing.
  In addition, if I recall correctly hibernation on linux with ACPI
  requires software suspend, and I've been trying that on other machines,
  with pretty awful results.  IME, it's very fragile; any new bit of
  hardware or new kernel version seems to break it. :(  So I'm giving that
  a miss.

cheers,

--j.