[ltp] Linux friendly repair shops in San Francisco?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:37:47 -0500

On Friday 20 February 2004 6:19 pm, James Knott wrote:
> Bill Barnard wrote:
> > I have a T30 which has been running Linux very nicely for a couple years
> > now. It probably needs a system board repair or replacement because it
> > no longer recognizes the second 256 MB memory module I bought for it.
> > (Both modules test good by the slot swapping method.)
> >
> > Can anyone on the list recommend a repair shop in the San Francisco,
> > California area with which they've had a good experience?
>
> A repair shop doesn't have to be "Linux friendly", as they shouldn't be
> touching the data on the disk without your approval.

Yeah, well most of your ordinary local repair shops are going to want to test
the system, and they would most likely boot it into whatever is on the hard
drive. Thus the tech is going to pretty much immediately be stumped. Maybe
nowadays things are different, but any time I was a PC tech I sure HATED it
when the clients system was something stupid I couldn't at least bring up
once and verify it worked.
--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain