[ltp] T30 owners - Memory bank problems?

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:01:02 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, D. Sen wrote:

> Just wondering if any of the T30 owners using both memory banks on their
> system boards have noticed a problem. This is the third time in 1.5
> years that one of the memory banks on my system board has stopped
> functioning. The RAMS themselves are fine. I have two sims 512 MBytes
> each. Each time, one of the banks stopped working and the system
> recognized only 1 of the 512 MByte modules. You can only tell there is a
> problem when weird problems start happening and you lose data.....typing
> "free" shows only half the memory available.
>
> Wondering if its just me or there are others. Once every six
> months....(this is my fourth new system-board) would seem to indicate
> there others out there who have experienced the same problem?

This was one of the problems I had on a 600E.

It was supporsedly fixed during one of the service trips the laptop
had - but it turned up again a few months later. I managed to use it
in that mode for a considerable time (a little wiggle of the memory
cards - during a reboot) - when I had to send it back for a video
repair - at which time it got fixed (but there was some other wired
problem) - and the laptop went back to IBM again - for another system
board.

Satish