[ltp] T41p graphics memory

Carl-Fredrik Enell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:26:14 +0200

Hi all,

I have a problem I had not found elsewhere on any of the
Linux-Thinkpad pages available. So I thought I'd better subscribe to
this list and follow the discussion.

I'm running Debian on my new T41p and have to admit that the keyboard
and the computing performance are amazing.
However, firstly I found it was impossible to make the machine suspend to RAM
(this seems to be solved in the recent 2.6 kernels and X
servers).
Much worse was that there were problems with a garbled X display, both with the
ATI fglrx module and the 4.3.0 open source drivers.
The problem seemed to get worse when I played with the suspend-to-swap
function in kernel 2.6.1.
After a while the same graphics problem (screen failing to update properly
when moving windows or scrolling, leaving blue garble on the screen)
appeared also in WinXP so I concluded that the graphics memory must be
broken, which was confirmed by the PC Doctor test that can be started
from the IBM pre-desktop.  Now my machine has been on service for
three weeks and still waiting for a new motherboard...

So my question now is: did the machine come with broken graphics memory or
is there actually something in the kernel or X server that can destroy
memory circuits (which would be something I have never heard of before)?

Best regards
Carl-Fredrik
Carl-Fredrik Enell
Sodankylä Geophysical Observatory
FIN-99600 Sodankylä, Finland

http://www.sgo.fi/~fredrik
Telephone (work):	(+358) (0)16  619826
Mobile phone (private): (+358) (0)400 820037