[ltp] Function Keys on a Thinkpad T41P

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:15:01 -0500

On Thursday 26 February 2004 18:16, after a long battle with technology,
Daniel Jimenez wrote:
> I have a vanilla custom 2.6.3 kernel (custom in that I selected all
> the options). I have most ACPI options enabled and no APM options
> enabled. My distro is Gentoo.
>
> None of my function keys short of FN+F7, FN+Home, FN+End, FN+PgUP
> work. I'm not really bothered by my inability to suspend, but I'd
> like to be able to use FN+F5 to turn off my wireless card. What do I
> need to do to get this ability?

Hm.  Have you tried the tpb utility?  That reads the NVRAM on a Thinkpad
and takes various user-definable actions based on what it finds.  I
made it so that pressing the otherwise-useless "thinkpad" button on my
A22p launches an xterm with ntpctl running in it.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/tpb/ , requires the XOSD libraries
though, just do "emerge tpb" or "apt-get install tpb" if you're running
a distro that has sane dependency tracking.  It just might solve this
problem--or it might not.  I don't know for sure.

--
   Sturgeon's Law:  90% of everything is crud.
   MG's Extension:  The other 10% is included in "everything," and it's