[ltp] Function Keys on a Thinkpad T41P

Carl Friedberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:26:15 -0500

I've mentioned this before, but it never hurts to repeat,
as no one responded...

In the good old days (TP390E,X; I series), the ThinkPad
Keyboard featured a quasi-numeric keypad, overlaid on
top of the normal keypad; the letters, on the lower right
corner of these keys, was in a light blue that matched
the color of the Fn key. If you wanted to have a keypress
which is the same as the "Keypad Enter" keypress, you just
held down the Fn key, and pressed the normal Enter key;
voila.

You can get a dumbed-down version of this on modern TP
just by using the Num-Lock (I hope if you care about this,
and have read this far, that you found this miracle by
holding down the shift key and pressing ScrLK (note the
small letters NumLK just above that, on the same key).

Any hints on how to get the old behavior back? Not a
big deal, but it is useful when in terminal emulation
mode, or x-terms, and connected to various UNIX and
VMS systems...

Carl Friedberg
carl@comets.com
www.comets.com