[ltp] Firmware Upgrade for 60GB 7200rpm drives (T41, R50) -- ISO image

William R Sowerbutts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:27:55 +0000

Hi all,

I received an email from IBM this morning announcing a firmware ugprade for
the 60GB 7200rpm drive used in my T41P. There is no option for doing the
firmware upgrade without a copy of Windows lying around to extract the
firmware update image; indeed, the "diskless" upgrade failed to work for me
with Windows XP, so I was forced to make my own!

I extracted the disk image to a floppy on a Windows machine and then took an
image of that to built a bootable "El Torito" ISO.

I've made this image available below in case anyone would like to upgrade
their drive but doesn't want to go through the same hassle. Uncompress the
image with gunzip, burn it to a CD-R or CD-RW with cdrecord, and then boot
from it (press F12 when the IBM BIOS splash screen appears). The command I
used was:

cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc fs=16M ./firmware-upgrade-hdd-1.iso

I have no idea what issues this firmware upgrade addresses, despite having
read all of the included documentation -- anyone know? I'm guessing it's a
reliability issue of some sort.

This image worked for me, but as with all firmware upgrades you should
exercise caution.

Download it here:

http://sowerbutts.com/thinkpad/firmware-upgrade-hdd-1.iso.gz  (744KB)

I hope this helps someone. Good luck!