[ltp] IBM 600E, RH9, minicom problem

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:56:05 -0600

Bill Voight wrote:

> I've also installed the kernel-module-thinkpad and tpctl.  Tpctl
> reports it can't open device /dev/thinkpad.
>
> If you think of anything else, I'm listening.

You need to check the 600E's actual serial port hardware state.  There
are three methods:

1. See if "tpctl -rsx" shows that the serial port is set correctly, is
enabled, and is powered on.  If the tpctl command complains about
/dev/thinkpad then it looks like your thinkpad modules aren't getting
loaded.

2. If lspnp doesn't give you "/proc/bus/pnp not available" then you can
use lspnp -v and setpnp to see if your serial port is powered on and
enabled.

3. Boot MSDOS one way or another (floppy, CD, HD, ethernet, etc.) and
with PS2.EXE installed run "ps2 ? se" to see if the serial port is
powered on, "ps2 se on" to turn it on.  Also check that "ps2 ? irq" show
the irq assignment that you want, and that "ps2 ? ir" shows that the IR
port is disabled or at least not assigned to the serial port you are using.

Once you know that your serial port hardware is powered on, enabled, and
has sane IRQ and I/O address settings, then you can use setserial to
tell Linux what those port settings are, and you should be set, assuming
no broken hardware.

wes