[ltp] Re: T40p madwifi and acpi troubles

edonia linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:30:06 +0800

Am Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:35:23 +0100 schrieb d:

> Hi!
>
> Gilles Magnier wrote:
>> until now i did not try suspend, just booting and bringing up ath0 give
>> me this error and 99% packet loss.
>>
>> testing a bit more makes me sure it's an acpi problem and not a bios
>> selftunig
>> cpu speed (hopefully).
>>
>> I've noticed that when processor is in C2 state madwifi drivers works
>> well but
>> when in C3 it fails as said before, im currently looking at processor.c
>> trying to force
>> it not using C3 state.
>>
>> So removing processor.ko module (ie booting and not "modprobing" it)
>> makes everything working fine, including both echo 4 and echo 3 to
>> /proc/acpi/sleep
>> and restore (dri disabled, usb module unloaded).
>
> That's a known problem and already reported twice to the madwifi ml
> (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3689627&forum_id=33958).
>
> My temporary workaround is not to load the processor and thermal module ;)
> You really don't need them anyway.
> At least not if you can life without to know your current cpu-temperature.

No, i do not think so:
if I do not load the processor, my machine goes only down to 600MHz
instead of 50MHz...
..there is more battery consumtion and more fan usage, which is not a good
idea, because the fan is getting louder after 1 or 2 years!

on my last unit (T30), they did'nt replaced the fan as warranty and the
fan was quite loud after one year of using it, without acpi running!

Uwe