[ltp] Suggested models?

Julian Underwood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:28:00 -0500

> Well, some models of the T23, like mine, have built-in wireless. It
> works pretty well for me. I've never had any use for accelerated 3D,
> but I guess that's a chicken-and-egg problem.

I have a T23 as well, and I think it is a great machine for linux.  Big
down-side for me is the lack of 3D support for it--I would like to be
able to actually see Tux Racer or FooBillards work for once.  SiS video
kinda sucks if you ask me.

Fedora Core 1 automatically detects my wireless card and uses the
orinoco_pci driver set.  This driver set works fine, but it really sucks
if you compare it to the linux-wlan-ng driver set--much, much more
control with the latter.  If you've gotten that set to work PLEASE let
me know how you got it to work, I use to have it working under RH9 and
can't get it to work again (probably a problem between p80211.o module
and the fact that Fedora auto detects my card as orinoco_pci.)

> Actually, my biggest problem with the T23 is that I upgraded it.
>
> I used to run RH7.3 upgraded to RH8.0 (which is *not* the same as a
> clean install of RH8.0), but decided to upgrade to Fedora Core 1 when
> it came out.
>
> The Fedora Core 1 kernel completely hoses suspension. In >50% cases of
> suspening, you hear this omnious metallic click from the harddrive,
> and when resuming, it works fine up until that point when it needs to
> access the drive, at which time the system locks up.

True.

>  I found a partial
> workaround was to, when you bring the system back from suspension,
> immediately request hibernation via Fn+F12. This would sometimes clear
> whatever the drive problem was, hibernate, and then you could often,
> but not always, wake it up. (Logs says it lost the interrupts for the
> drive.)

I'll try that.

What works well for me is if I log out of the console then ctrl+alt+f1
then login as root, issue a `apm -s`.  I can resume sucessfully the
majority of the time.  Otherwise I usually suspend best when running
`apm -s` from console 0 as root.

Have you messed around with CPUFreq?  Any hints on getting that working
well? ;-)

My feeling is the T30 is the ultimate linux laptop--correct me if I'm
wrong.  I mean the video is ATI Radion, so it's 3D ready, good sound,
wireless, etc.  I'm thinking of getting one.  T30...the ultimate linux
laptop????

Julian