[ltp] Suggested models?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:26:24 -0500

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:04:49 +0100
Andr=E9 Wyrwa <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> wrote:

> AFAIK almost all Thinkpads up to the T2x series have builtin graphics
> adapters that are not fully supported by Xfree86, whereas on newer
> models with radeon chips DRI and Dualview and native framebuffer are
> supported, although the drivers are still in development.

Well, they're as "fully supported" as most graphics cards are (i.e. no 3D
support, but accelerated 2D support and XVideo for DVD/VCD playback).  If
you're trying to play games, an older Thinkpad isn't what you want
anyway.

> (I'm wondering about the TP240X, which should have a Silicon Motion
> Lynx, that is AFAIK the only card that supports hw accel. and screen
> rotation at the same time?)

By "hw accel", do you mean 3D?  Which version of Xfree supports DRI on the
Lynx? I have a 240X, and XFree 4.3.0 runs on the chip, but there's no DRI
and 2D graphics are actually SLOWER than on my vanilla 240 (NeoMagic)- in
particular when playing video with XVideo.  Were I choosing one of the 240
seties right now, I'd take the 240 with 400 MHz Celeron.  A 240 is
upgradable to 320M RAM, while with the 240X you get a faster processor,
but less RAM (192M) and slower graphics.

--=20
*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/