[ltp] Re: [Thinkpad] TP Linux

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:58:40 -0700

Adam:

Once you boot up the disk, look to see if there are any filesystems
mounted in the /mnt directory.  If there are, look at these.  If not,
try the following:

mkdir /mnt/disk1
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk1

This will mount the first partition of the drive.  The native boot
kernel will NOT mount NTFS (WindowsXP partition).  You should see a
directory structure with a /etc, /usr, /root.  You want to switch to the
/etc partition and look for a file named lilo.conf.  You should be able
to edit the file with the vi file editor and change the default
partition to the windows partition.  My parition name is Windows98 (as I
run that version of Windows.)  I could change the default line to
default = Windows98.  This would cause the Windows partition boot as the
default everytime.  You also have to run /sbin/lilo to change the Master
Boot Record to read your changes.

Hopefully this will force WindowsXP to boot without a problem.

James McKenzie